Featured Post

TOURIST FOR THE DAY in PUERTO RICO

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Postcard from Puerto Rico

El Moro in the Old City*
Christmas in Puerto Rico is filled with joyous celebration...usually.This year we're turning a 'hard corner.' Do you remember manual steering? You just grab the wheel and keep pulling until you finally make the turn. That's our holiday. We're in a time of change that has brought about an unscheduled move that brings us closer to the beach. I remind myself every day that I can enjoy sunny walks on the sandy beach. Why am I sad? Our poor little homeless dogs have no place do go. We tried so hard to help with the stray dog problem in Puerto Rico. (insert sigh here)

Today the waves were crashing on Condado beach with great force and cutting a sharp wedge out of the coastline. It reminded me of our transition from the mountains to the sea; along with the water's turbulence is also a rejuvenating breeze. There's a yoga studio nearby and plenty of coffee shops in which to write. It will be okay (I tell myself.) I miss Mom.(Her story here.) Holiday blues? I'm going for a walk!

Accentuate the Positive
You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium's
Liable to walk upon the scene

(Johnny Mercer/Harold Arlen) 

Thank you for reading Oasis Writing Link (TM) this year. I send you besitios and abrazos!

*Photo credit: Amber Villanueva

12 comments:

  1. Too bad there's a stray dog problem in PR. So nice that you helped. Moving is always stressful, even if it's to a beautiful location.

    Thanks always for your slices of Puerto Rico.
    Besititos, abrazos y prospero ano nuevo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Myrna. Moving is stressful! I appreciate the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello cynthia-i thought i would come by and say hello and wish you a wonderful new year...i always feel a bit blue this time of year as family is often not here, staying home over the holidays as traveling is so difficult with the little ones...we have a very quiet holiday in general and i am afraid it is getting old...anyway, i am sorry to hear of your dear dogs and hope something was able to be arranged as i know how much you loved them...that's very sad...i hope you do get used to your new environs and the sea seems like it would become you somehow....it's always hard to make the adjustment to so many new life circumstances, isn't it? hoping for you a lovely, fulfilling and beautiful new year and for your sweet dogs, homes for everyone! xo♥
    very sad about dear tessa... she was such a shining light.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to move closer to the beach. Good luck with the transition. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Linda. We're in the process of moving and still not connected to the Internet but I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your perceptive words. Today we are making decisions about the dogs. So difficult.I hope your holiday time is enjoyable. I do love walking by the ocean.
    I

    ReplyDelete
  6. IPhone mesg are a bit hard to manage!!
    Hi Sarah, yes I agree it will be fun. Hope you enjoyed your Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and Linda, so sad to hear about Tessa. She was a great inspiration to me. Her warmth for others was unbounded. A true artist in art and life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vеry nice post. Ӏ simply stumbled upon yοur weblog and wanted to ssay thazt
    Ι'vе rеally enjoyed browsing yоur blog posts.
    Іn any casе I'll be subscribing оn yߋur rss feed
    and I hope youu write oncе more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article post. I wanted
    to write a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Undeniably сonsider thɑt tһat yοu stated. Yoսr favorite justification appeared tߋ be
    on the web the simplest factor tⲟ understand of.

    I say to yоu, І ⅽertainly get annoyed eνen as folks thіnk about
    cincerns that they plainly do not undsrstand about.

    Yoᥙ managed to hit tһe nail սpon the highst and alsⲟ defined ouut tһе entyire thing witһout having
    side effeect , othеr people can tɑke a signal. Wiill
    ⲣrobably Ƅе Ƅack to get more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not eѵen know the way I stopped up here,
    but І tһought tһіs post used to be goߋd. Ӏ do not recognize whօ үօu're but certainly yоu're gߋing tο a famous blogger іf you are not alгeady.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Start a conversation with your comments here...